Archive for October, 2013


Gendarmerie

comments ( 2 )
October 18, 2013 posted by admin

October 18, 2013
Ok, I know that I asked for “something to do in Douarnenez that didn’t cost anything”, but I think this is a little extreme.   Night before last someone came into our house and stole a television from the ground floor of the house!  Can you believe it?  So far my adventures in France over the last two years have included a trip to the hospital emerg, living out of a van and now a trip to the  Gendarmerie.

Katrina came along for the adventure of how to file a police report in France and to see if she could spy any good looking policemen.  Nothing quite like a field trip! I think my life is truly complete now! hahahaha! Nevertheless the culprits left behind a box of wine that has gone off for forensics testing!  The police also said that several houses in the neighbourhood have been hit.  We’re not the only ones.

In the meantime, we are still under a code red for starting the race and the best guess is now a week before getting a start.  So, with budgets being tight, we have opted to give up the crew house and find less expensive (otherwise known as free) accommodations.

Living the Dream!  🙂

Diane


Bainbridge and SailCare unite!

comments ( 1 )
October 17, 2013 posted by admin

October 17, 2013
A few weeks before the scheduled start of the race a friend of mine said “How would you like a new spinnaker”?  I said I would love a new spinnaker!!!!  But, it wasn’t in the budget.  Then he told me a little story about Sailcare.

They’re a loft in Cowes England who was hoping to build a kite for a Mini for this year’s Transat Race.  Bainbridge had already agreed to provide the material and now they just needed a boat.

Would I like to be their boat???  Absolutely!

Then a couple of days before the start of the race a nice shiny new spinnaker arrived for me at the race village.  Gerry and his crew at Sailcare worked through the nights to make it happen.

This new kite has been built to optimize boat speed in 130 degrees and 15 knots of wind.  It has the ability to climb higher and the cloth is a little heavier to manage in the big puffs.  I can’t wait to try it out while we scream across the Atlantic to Guadeloupe!!!

Thanks very much Sailcare and Bainbridge for this amazing opportunity!
Diane


Status Red Continues

comments ( 0 )
October 17, 2013 posted by admin

As of 1800 we are still in a status red alert.  Potentially looking at another 4 or 5 days before we can get a start!  The good news is that they are hopeful that the Azores High will break and start to climb to hold off all of these nasty low depressions for us.  Fingers crossed!

Diane


While We Wait

comments ( 2 )
October 16, 2013 posted by admin

October 16, 2013
In the meantime we’re preparing for a few days here in Douarnenez.  A walk to the market this morning found these amazing lobsters!

They definitely exceed our “mini budget”, but they don’t exceed my camera!  Then it was a run to the grocery store.  Next up we have to move the boats back inside of the locked in harbour while we wait for our weather window.  Things are feeling very quiet.  Paul and Sheila have gone home, the banners have been taken down and the race village packed up.  Hope we go soon!!!  I’m rooting for movie night in the crew house tonight!!  Hansel and Gretel or Argo?????  What’s your vote?

Diane


Red, Orange or Green?

comments ( 2 )
October 15, 2013 posted by admin

October 15, 2010
Status Red, status Orange or status Green.  This is our new alert system to know when we are going to get a start.  The long range forecast is for a potential start in 5 to 7 days!!!  If they post a status red then we are “no start in the next 36 hours”.  If it’s status orange then it’s a possibility of leaving in the next 36 hours.  If it’s green then it’s a possibility of going in the next 24 hours.  Today we’re status red…..it is what it is!

Anyone know anything fun and exciting to do in Douarnenez that doesn’t cost anything???


Spain Waypoints

comments ( 0 )
October 15, 2013 posted by admin

October 15, 2013
Ok, new waypoints for Spain have been developed and entered for our potential third leg.  That should pretty much guarantee now that we’re not going to Spain!  Stay tuned for the 1800 briefing tonight (1200 Toronto time) to see where and when we are taking off!
Diane


Soon Please!

comments ( 0 )
October 14, 2013 posted by admin

We’re off to our evening briefing to find out if we’re on our way or not.  The grib files are looking good for a small window of opportunity to get around Cape Finisterre if we leave Wednesday!  30 minutes to the briefing!!!!  Cross your fingers!!!
Diane


Trousse Pharmacie

comments ( 2 )
October 12, 2013 posted by admin

October 12, 2013
It’s official!  We’re on a day by day alert for a weather window to open up for the start of the 2013 Mini Transat Race.  As of Monday at 1800 they will do a daily post on the official notice board of the weather status off of Cape Finisterre and our new start date and time.  As soon as the briefing was over it was a mad dash to the boats.  Minimum two more days for people to work on their boats!!!  Instantly the drills came out, hacksaws started swinging and hammers started banging.  I decided to sort through my Pharmacy kit a little and then to do a splice.  One of the items we’re required to have in the Pharmacy kit is suntan lotion.  I have a bottle of my favourite Aquafolia Sunscreen not only in my boat, but also in my toilet case AND in my Pharmacy kit…just incase!

 

In the meantime, we’re ready and raring to go!

 

Diane


Postponement

comments ( 1 )
October 10, 2013 posted by admin

October 10, 2013
Postponement!  The big announcement in today’s race briefing was as follows.

Due to a massive low connecting in with another low over the Bay of Biscay and a large section of the Atlantic Ocean, we are officially postponed until at least Wednesday most likely.  This low that is spinning up is looking like it will produce 30 – 40 knots of wind on the nose (SW) coming around Cap Finisterre.  The Cap is a particularly tricky area of navigation.  Cliffs, high winds and a massive Traffic Separation Scheme that must be avoided, have all added up to an official postponement.


3 Days to Go!

comments ( 1 )
October 10, 2013 posted by admin

Three days left to the start of the Mini Transat race! We’re ready to go…inspections are complete and charts are being worked up against the weather grib files. Busy days but VERY VERY EXCITING!!! Four years of hard work about to pay off. Follow the race!
🙂
Diane